Hello and welcome to my blog where I share my photos and experiences from my travels to the African bush and other wild places.

Sunday, July 1, 2012

STALKING LEOPARD

Like most people, leopards are my favorite animal. Not only do they have the most beautiful coat, but they move graciously and have a magical secrecy about them. They are one of the iconic animals of Africa. I followed a male leopard in the Masai Mara National Reserve in Kenya while he was on the move and looking for a meal. The Masai Mara is known for its great open plains which is not your most typical habitat for leopards. This leopard had some difficulty moving from one cluster of bushes to the next without giving his position away to a grazing herd of impala. At some stage he was walking down a large grass covered hill, lying down, then stalking, and moving forward slowly again. We positioned our vehicle at the bottom of the hill and were lucky to capture this stalking posture at eye level, as he was moving down.


Stalking leopard
Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya
Canon 1D Mark IV | Canon 600mmf/4 | 1/1600 sec at f/5, ISO 800