Hello and welcome to my blog where I share my photos and experiences from my travels to the African bush and other wild places.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

ELEPHANT DOOMSDAY

September is a dry month in Amboseli National Park in Kenya. The grass on the plains have disappeared and the elephants have to travel far between the acacia forests on the outskirts of the park and the wetlands in the middle of the reserve. Many breeding herds travel across the open plains daily. The dry conditions during this time of the year creates a spectacle of small whirlwinds that the locals call "dust devils". They usually first appear from 11am onwards when temperatures start to soar. I wanted to capture these dust devils with a significant scene in the foreground, something typical to Amboseli. I tried a number of times but either the dust devils were not strong enough, getting lost in the background, or there were no animals to be seen to anchor the image in the foreground. A few days passed without any success. Then, finally, I got lucky when a breeding herd of elephants returned to the acacia forests after visiting the wetlands, with a series of dust devils as a backdrop.


Elephant doomsday
Amboseli National Park, Kenya
Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mmf/2.8 | 1/640 sec at f/8, ISO 100